A very common requirement for online shop owners is to force the customer to accept their terms and conditions before placing an order. When a client requested this recently, I was happy to find that Magento has this functionality built in, meaning time saved and no custom coding. It just requires some setting up in the admin, here’s how.
In your admin go to:
Menu > System > Configuration > Sales > Checkout > Checkout Options
- Set “Enable Terms and Conditions” to “Yes”
- Click “Save Config”
Next, go to:
Menu > Sales > Terms and conditions
- Click “Add New Condition”
- Fill in the required fields
- “Condition Name” is only shown in the admin so can be whatever you want.
- Set “Status” to “Enabled”
- Set “Show content as” to “HTML” if you want to stylize the content or have links
- “Checkbox text” will be shown next to the checkbox, e.g. “I accept the terms and conditions”
- “Content” will be shown in a scrolling text area above the checkbox. This could be your entire terms and conditions or a link to your terms and conditions page.
- Click “Save Condition”
You’re all done. The terms and conditions text and checkbox will now show on the final step of the checkout. Customers will be required to check the checkbox before they can place an order.